Foodie

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Lemon Poppyseed Whipped Cream Pound Cake



This cake is made for my dear sister, Lilian, who is in Sydney and a gracious host to all of us who visit her. She introduced me to Quiche Lorraine, Pablova and many more delectable delights of Downunder including this Lemon Poppyseed Cake.



Ingredients:


1 cup whipping cream, chilled
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
grated zest of a lemon or two
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup poppyseeds




Method:
Preheat the oven to 350F.

With an electric mixer, whip the cream until stiff; set aside.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs for a minute, then slowly add the sugar, beating until the mixture is thick and pale yellow.
Beat in the vanilla and lemon zest.

In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
Sprinkle half over the beaten eggs and fold it in with a spatula; then fold in the whipped cream and then the remaining flour, along with the poppyseeds.

Spread into an 8″x4″ loaf pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray, and bake for 45-50 minutes, until golden and the top is springy to the touch.

8 comments:

Christina Kim said...

Niceeee.....and I'm sure your sis will definitely love it:)
The best part was that it came from your kind thoughts and wonderful efforts, Cheers!~

Ana Powell said...

Hi Lily
I found by accident, as I was Googling ways to cook with Shaoshing rice cooking wine and your recipe of Dried Pork came up.
Congratulations on your blog.
I have saved you on my contacts.
Take care xxx

P.S. I am also a Virgo

Unknown said...

christy

thanks for the kind words.

Unknown said...

ann

you are most welcome to link me.

you take care fellow virgoan

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily! Long time no hear huh!! Hope all is well with you. I have a bake sale in my office tomorrow and this cake looks delish. Did you make it here in Colorado? I have to make sure that the crust has that beautiful crack at the top. You this high altitude problem we have here. Take care. June

Unknown said...

june

i really missed seeing you. Why are you hiding from us? Do i get to see you at Sumi's this oct 25th.

Bake in the loaf pan like this one and you will have the crack.

good luck and hope to meet up with you

Anonymous said...

Dear Lily,

There's really so much to your blog, really cant thank you enough as most recipes come really handy.

millions thanks to all your hard effort in sharing :)

stay healthy and happy always.

ciao
Sab

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great recipe. I omitted the poppy seed as I had none. It was great. I will try again with poppy seeds the next time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...